Le Mardi 26 Février 2002 21:13, Baal a écrit :
> On Tue, 2002-02-26 at 12:47, David Walluck wrote:
> > Robert Fox wrote:
> > > Agreed it "should" be fixed in the kernel - but how long can we afford
> > > to wait - and what are the consequences of NOT adding the option for
> > > the next (imminent) Mandrake release??
> >
> > Actually, there seems to be a bug in drakboot, where there is
> > mem=nonpentium (By default? why?), but when you go to click OK, it says
> > that mem must be a number. Obviously, it doesn't have to be a number.
>
> nopentium was probably written there because you performed an upgrade
> from a system that already had the option appended to LILO...
>
> I think it would be very important to add this since it affects the
> majority of AMD cpus used with the AGP port... The change that
> mem=nopentium does is simply telling the kernel to use 4k pages instead
> of 4M pages and almost no programs can use 4M pages anyway so the
> performance loss is absolutely imperceptible. Many person reported big
> stability problems when 8.1 came out and this option can prevent that...
>
> For those interested in knowing if their CPU is affected, you can make
> cat /proc/cpuinfo and if the tree following lines are not identical then
> your CPU probably has the bug:
>
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 2
> stepping        : 2
>
> Regards,
>
> Baal

Is it realted only to this CPU's (from where do you take that values), i'm
seeing it and here is what provies cat /proc/cpuifo :
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 6
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1600+
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 1399.790
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips        : 2791.83

Will this be included in hardrake, as Known bugs : (pass mem=nopentium
instead of none)

Stef