On Thursdayen den 11 April 2002 19.24, Frederic Lepied wrote:
> Brook Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > > Sorry for the delay. First I must say that msec doesn't change the
> > > owner/group of subdirs of /var/log. If it'd do that it will have broken
> > > a lot of applicattions. It only changes the permissions and I
> > > understand that can be a problem if the group needs access to the
> > > subdir. Is it the case with qmail ?
> >
> > Remember qmail by default is in /var/qmail
> >
> > all it's binaries and everything operate out of there as per the license
> > that djb has for his software. I'm not sure I remember correctly as it
> > has been a long time since I tried to install it during the actual
> > install but Think that the permissions were incorrect in /var/log and
> > msec does do something to the /var/qmail directory also. I can't remember
> > if it was permissions only or if it changed user/group also for
> > /var/qmail.
>
> No msec doesn't change files/directories under /var, it only changes
> /var itself.
>
> That's very strange that msec breaks qmail as I remember Vincent has
> done tests and that was ok. Vincent ?

I use:

exec setuidgid qmaill multilog t /var/log/pop3d
exec setuidgid qmaill multilog t /var/log/qmail
exec setuidgid qmaill multilog t /var/log/smtpd

Where vdanen uses something like:

exec setuidgid qmaill multilog t /var/log/qmail/pop3d
exec setuidgid qmaill multilog t /var/log/qmail/qmqpd
exec setuidgid qmaill multilog t /var/log/qmail
exec setuidgid qmaill multilog t /var/log/qmail/smtpd

At the time my problems arose, either the dir perm, or the dir content perm
was forcly changed by msec. I can't recall exactly which one of these, it may
even be so that both was altered... I don't really care now since I have
started to use:

exec setuidgid qmaill multilog t ./main

This way is "msec safe" :)

I think I have reported about this quite some time ago. msec could have
changed it's behaviour since then, but I don't have the time to test.

--
Regards // Oden Eriksson