On Saturdayen den 20 April 2002 08.04, Vincent Danen wrote:
> On Fri Apr 12, 2002 at 08:37:24AM -0400, Oden Eriksson wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > No msec doesn't change files/directories under /var, it only changes
> > > /var itself.
> > >
> > > That's very strange that msec breaks qmail as I remember Vincent has
> > > done tests and that was ok. Vincent ?
> >
> > I use:
> >
> > exec setuidgid qmaill multilog t /var/log/pop3d
> > exec setuidgid qmaill multilog t /var/log/qmail
> > exec setuidgid qmaill multilog t /var/log/smtpd
>
> Yes, this would do it.  Take a look /usr/share/msec/perm.3, for
> example.  It directly changes ownership of /var/log/* to
> root.root(755)... level 2 uses root.adm(755).
>
> The directories below /var/log, ie. /var/log/*/* are set to current
> user with mode 640.  This is why /var/log/pop3d would cause problems
> whereas /var/log/qmail/pop3d would not.
>
> An exception could be (should be) made so that /var/log/qmail is set
> to current perms instead of changing because root.root is still wrong
> (should be qmaill.root).

Aha that's why... But I think it really should be "qmaill.nofiles", not
"qmaill.root". It would be great if msec didn't change current in /var/log/*

> > Where vdanen uses something like:
> >
> > exec setuidgid qmaill multilog t /var/log/qmail/pop3d
> > exec setuidgid qmaill multilog t /var/log/qmail/qmqpd
> > exec setuidgid qmaill multilog t /var/log/qmail
> > exec setuidgid qmaill multilog t /var/log/qmail/smtpd
> >
> > At the time my problems arose, either the dir perm, or the dir content
> > perm was forcly changed by msec. I can't recall exactly which one of
> > these, it may even be so that both was altered... I don't really care now
> > since I have started to use:
> >
> > exec setuidgid qmaill multilog t ./main
>
> So you log to /var/run/supervise/qmail-pop3d/main?

Yes, actually it's "/var/service/pop3d/log/main".

> Ala djbdns... =)

Exactly :)

This works as great as logging to /var/log since I usually never make a
dedicated log partition. I just have to change in other softwares so they can
find the log files..., this is better than struggling with msec.

--
Regards // Oden Eriksson