On Sat, 2002-09-21 at 05:51, Felix Miata wrote:

> Regarding the mouse, no one yet on the list has even made an applicable
> suggestion. Someone did mention combining /usr onto the same partition
> as /, but I don't use a separate /usr to combine, and I seriously doubt
> that could possibly be a fix for such an essential element of a working
> Mandrake distro as an ordinary mouse.

There seem to be two mouse problems in RC3. One is with USB mice, and
was exactly due to the cause you're dubious about. If you have /usr and
/ separate, the /usr partition isn't mounted at the point the init
scripts try to bring up USB. Unfortunately, in initscripts -9mdk, they
tried to use a program called expr, which is in /usr/bin, so they didn't
work. It was fixed in I think -10mdk. However, there also seems to be
another problem with PS/2 mice, which is I think the one you're having.
I don't think there's a fix for that one yet, but i'm not sure...
--
adamw