* Stardate: 2002-10-05 12:00
* Incoming subspace signal from "Buchan Milne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>" :

> On Sat, 5 Oct 2002, Maxim Heijndijk wrote:
>
> > * Stardate: 2002-10-04 21:48
> > * Incoming subspace signal from "Maxim Heijndijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>" :
> >
> > > I have discovered that the error messages start after the installation of the
>packages. Something with a USB-storage kernel module. I don't have a
>USB-storage-device. After that there are lots of "no such file or directory" errors.
> >
> > So, I tried another boot-image. cdrom.img-2.2.14-BADZ2 worked, but did
> > not detect my USB mouse. Finally cdrom.img-2.2.19-BADZ5 worked, the
> > install went OK, no probeall usb-storage stuff in the logs, this must be
> > the problem.
> >
> > BUT... when I try to boot the from the newly installed
> > partition, the kernel hangs at "Freeing unused kernel memory". Sigh...
> > when is this gonna end ?
> >

> When you give decent informatio on exactly what you are doing.

Much information is in this thread: "subject: Serious problems installing 9.0". I did
nothing special. I tried to install LM 9.0 final and got a plethora of errors. After
that I tried to install with one of the alternative boot images, that went well. Now I
can't boot the system. the kernel hangs on "Freeing unused kernel memory".

I tried to upload the entire report.bug, but it is too big for this list, it doesn't
get posted. I don't know really which information to post anymore, I've seen so many
errors.

> This seems to be non-Intel and non-AMD CPU (Cyrix or VIA). What release
> are you using? If yo are not using 9.0 final, please do us all a favour,
> and try that first, since there were Cyrix/VIA fixes very late (post-RC2
> IIRC).

It is a Cyrix CPU. I'm using 9.0 Final. If I knew for sure the problem lies with the
CPU I would buy another one, to get rid of this nuisance.

>From report.bug:

* lspci
agpgart         : VIA Technologies|VT82C691 [Apollo PRO] [NOT_DEFINED]
unknown         : VIA Technologies|VT82C598 [Apollo MVP3 AGP] [NOT_DEFINED]
unknown         : VIA Technologies|VT82C686 [Apollo Super] [NOT_DEFINED]
unknown         : VIA Technologies|VT82C586 IDE [Apollo] [NOT_DEFINED]
usb-uhci        : VIA Technologies|VT82C586B USB [NOT_DEFINED]
usb-uhci        : VIA Technologies|VT82C586B USB [NOT_DEFINED]
unknown         : VIA Technologies|VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI] [NOT_DEFINED]
snd-emu10k1     : Creative Labs|SB Live! (audio) [NOT_DEFINED]
emu10k1-gp      : Creative Labs|SB Live! (joystick) [NOT_DEFINED]
ne2k-pci        : Realtek|RTL-8029(AS) [NOT_DEFINED]
Card:RIVA TNT2  : nVidia Corporation|Vanta [NOT_DEFINED]
unknown         : Virtual|Hub
unknown         : Virtual|Hub
Mouse:USB|Wheel : Logitech Inc.|Mouse [Human Interface Devices|Boot Interface
Subclass|Mouse]

>From the normal (cdrom.img) install:

* cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : CentaurHauls
cpu family      : 6
model           : 5
model name      : VIA Samuel
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 666.233
cache size      : 128 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu de tsc msr mce cx8 mtrr pge mmx 3dnow
bogomips        : 1330.38

>From the alternative (cdrom.img-2.2.19-BADZ5) install, differences only:

* cpuinfo
model           : 6
cpu MHz         : 666.270
sep_bug         : no
flags           : fpu de tsc msr mce cx8 mtrr pge mmx 31
bogomips        : 1327.10

--
Best regards, M@X.

* Climate Control Psychedelic Soundscapes - http://go.to/cchq/