On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 12:30:35 +0100
 Florent BERANGER <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Many major softwares (as Gimp) are in Gtk. Your case (no gtk apps) is too specific. Please don't apply your case to all users.
I'm sure the subset of users who rarely if ever run a Gtk app is not very small. Even if they do have some Gtk apps installed, they're likely not running them all the time. They are in KDE all the time. So Gtk config tools will have more impact on their systems than Qt tools. Actually, it doesn't matter much to me, I have 1600MHz and half a gig of RAM. It's the visual integration that concerns me more.

If a user want a minimal system with X or a system with Gnome, windowmaker, flubox, E, do you think he want qt libraries ? I think no.
Of course not, which is why I suggested that the ideal thing would be to have both options.

2 frontends to develop and maintain ? I don't think Mdk team will have the time and it's just a little design issue in config tool. I don't think that is important at this time.
If you don't try to duplicate functionality that KDE puts in their control center, you wouldn't have that many Qt tools to write. In fact, I'm not sure you have to write any - as of KDE 3.1, there's a pretty comprehensive set of tools available. You may disagree, even to the point of thinking the KDE tools are crap, but I'd appreciate if you would leave them in there for the users who like them. Choice is always better than no choice.

And look on the bright side - at least no one is asking for Motif versions of the config tools! ;)

Most of the folks not using KDE or Gnome probably don't need config tools, but if they do, perhaps Webmin would be a good choice, since it's environment-neutral.
They don't want config tools ??? I don't think they'll be agree. They'll consider that as a regression !
Most of the people I know of who use WindowMaker, Fluxbox, and the like prefer to edit their config files by hand.
Because Xdrakres have a better ease of use, use Mdk hardware detection libraries / have a better Mdk stuff integration. And I just saw that kxconfig have a bug -> he detect my keyboard with US layout. I'm in french layout (I agree, it's not related).
Better ease of use? I don't agree. I think Kxconfig is more straightforward. But I realize that's just a matter of opinion.
Better Mdk integration? OK, but if I don't use the Mdk tools that much, why should that matter to me?
I think I saw the same bug in Kxconfig - it thought I had some layout besides US. But before the Mdk guys get big heads, I'll point out that MCC's printer config doesn't work on my system - it just sits there at "please wait" with the icon pulsating.

MCC is greet for others environment than Gnome & KDE. If Mdk team is agree, tests can be done (it's not long/hard to integrate Mdk tools in KDE control center. For Gnome control center, I don't know, I hope it's the same).
I'll just ask, if at all possible, that if that's the approach Mandrake takes, they do something similar to what Menudrake does, and have an option to turn off the Mandrake tools and use the KDE ones, at least in the cases where there is a KDE tool. As I said before, choice is good!

--
Brian Smith