torsdagen den 14 november 2002 08.53 skrev Vincent Danen:
> On Wednesday, November 13, 2002, at 08:21 PM, Oden Eriksson wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > * Wed Nov 13 2002 Oden Eriksson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > 8.3.3-3mdk
> > - security fix for multiple flaws in the code (P10) possible addresses;
> >   CAN-2002-1219, CAN-2002-1220 and CAN-2002-1221, this is something
> >   for mandrakesecurity to sort out on paid workingtime ;)
>
> Will be out tomorrow.
>
> > - updated S6 to _show_ a fake version to fool the script kiddies even
> >   more, root should change this later to maybe 9.2.2?
> >   updated root cache file from internic
>
> Why?  They're not going to scan for a version before trying to exploit.
>   They're just going to hammer every DNS server they can find.  I've
> said it before a million times but, let's make it a million and one:
> Security through obscurity is no security at all.

Yeah, but I didn't take notice before, but thanks anyway. I had to do
something...

> Anyways, bind8 is only in 7.2 and SNF7.2... 8.0+ install bind9 by
> default.  I'm actually impressed that bind9 isn't affected by any of
> this, but it sure makes it easy to support.  Why are you still using
> bind8 (I'm assuming you're not using a 7.2 box since this is on cooker).

There are people refusing to upgrade, and my bind-chroot packages are for
them. But anyway after a couple of hours fiddling with the conf files I was
able to run one of my clients 2000+ hosts zone files under 9.2.1, so I will
recommend them to upgrade.

> Actually, the real question, is why are you still using bind at all?
> ISC screwed the pooch on this one big time...  I wouldn't touch bind
> after this mess with a 10 foot pole.

Because I do not trust tinydns to do the job. I know a guy that has been
working several years with the dot se top domain..., and I do take his word
for it...

Well..., here's what I plan to do; Implement DLZ for latest bind. Packages
built with MySQL support here:

(conditional build, but with mysql enabled in the spec file)

http://d-srv.com/Cooker/RPMS/bind-9.2.2-0.rc1.2mdk.i586.rpm
http://d-srv.com/Cooker/RPMS/bind-devel-9.2.2-0.rc1.2mdk.i586.rpm
http://d-srv.com/Cooker/RPMS/bind-utils-9.2.2-0.rc1.2mdk.i586.rpm
http://d-srv.com/Cooker/SRPMS/bind-9.2.2-0.rc1.2mdk.src.rpm

Hmm..., I better hurry up now pack my bags instead of RPM:s ;)..., I'm bound
for London in two hours.

Chears
--
Regards // Oden Eriksson, Deserve-IT Networks

Check the "Modules For Apache2" status page at:
http://www.deserve-it.com/modules_for_apache2.html