lördagen den 23 november 2002 01.48 skrev Ben Reser:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 03:17:55PM -0700, Vincent Danen wrote:
> > No opinion on how good they are as I haven't tried them.  But any of
> > them will be better than BIND on a security and ethical standpoint.
>
> Well I took some time to look at some of them today.
>
> Dents:
> - Hasn't been updated since July 11th, 1999.
> - Has 2 support requests sitting in the queue that have never been
> responsed too (Both are over a year old).
> - Mailing list archives show about 5 messages a year.
> - Doesn't provide a cryptographic signature or even an md5 sum for their
> package.
> - Documentation is missing in the package.  Points you to the website:
> http://www.dents.org/, which fails to load for me.
> - The MaraDNS site has a list of DNS programs... it says this one is
> abandoned.  From the looks of it I'd agree.

Ben..., this is terrible!!! Thank you for the research, it's very appreciated.

> MaraDNS:
> - Has documentation.
> - Has cryptographic signatures, but the key they are signed with isn't
> on wwwkeys.pgp.net, but the key is included in package.  But not putting
> their key in the keyserver doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence in
> the signature.  So I imported the key that was in the package.  It is
> only a self signed key.  Not very useful to prove that it's real.  So
> much for a security focused DNS server.
> - Doesn't support multiple views.
> - Doesn't support separate ACLs for each zone.
> - Doesn't support acting as a secondary server as far as I can tell.
> - Doesn't support round robin setups e.g. CNAME for www.domain.com
> points to multiple ips that get returned in a rotating fashion.  It only
> returns the first ip.
> - Doesn't handle MX's and wildcard listsings properly.
> - Has an absolutely horrid zone file format.
> - Doesn't appear to support the LOC record.  At least I didn't see any
> explanation of how to make one in their file format.

Huh? What _does_ it do?

> MyDNS:
> - Runs out of MySQL (I'm not terribly fond of this idea, so I didn't
> spend a lot of time on it).
> - Does not do recursive name service.
> - Once again doesn't have any cryprtographic signatures for the files.
>   (though one is an rpm, they didn't sign it).  Or for that matter
>   md5sums.

mydns-0.9.3-1mdk has been in contribs since Thu Sep 19 2002 (if it's the same
as MyDNS?) Please do try it.

> Posadis:
> - No recursion
> - No cryptographic sig.  Even the rpm download isn't signed.  They do
> provide md5sum's... but we already know how useful these are for
> security, they aren't!
> - Supports standard zone file format that BIND uses (wahoo).
> - supports DNS notify.
> - Doesn't handle LOC records.
> - Limited access controls.
>
> Which leaves me with two functional servers, that can handle my needs:
> djbdns
> bind
>
> I haven't really looked at djbdns all that much.  I don't really care
> to.  But considering that it too is missing a cryptographic signature I
> find it hard to take his concern about security seriously.
>
> The above is my evaluation of the software.  Based upon my needs.
> Others may find the other DNS servers more than effective for their
> needs.  Especially if they aren't wanting recursive or authoritative
> zone hosting (I need to do both).  Especially if they have much simpler
> requirements...

Hmm..., this is what I suspected, there's not that many alternatives after
all...

Thanks again Ben.

--
Regards // Oden Eriksson, Deserve-IT Networks

Check the "Modules For Apache2" status page at:
http://www.deserve-it.com/modules_for_apache2.html