Han Boetes wrote:
> Gwenole Beauchesne ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
>>Exactly! Too maintainers simply don't care about their packages.  This
>>is a means to bring attention to  possible  new  files  added  through
>>packages updates and also fix  existing  packages  that  have  missing
>>files.
>

> I had to disable the warning for  two  packages  because  it  complained
> about doc-files that were installed by the install target in  the  wrong
> directory. I have to use the %doc macro for the docs.

Many packages install docs to the wrong place, they should either be
fixed (and the fix upstreamed) or hacked around ... preferably fixed.

Of course, many packages insist on needing root permissions in their
install target :-(.

> Once again I think it is a good idea to have  something  that  tells  me
> that I some files are not in the package, but more than a warning is not
> good. Now I have to outsmart your  script  and  it  will  result  in  me
> turning it off and then the script would loose all funtion.
>
> I always read all output from the rpm build process  and  I  always  use
> rpmlint to search for possible errors. So if your script would  warn  it
> would be a usefull addition.

IMHO, a more useful exit would be when a file listed in %doc doesn't
exist. At the moment, if one file in %doc is missing, all the files
after it are excluded, *silently*. You only get the warning about one
missing file, %doc exits non-zero, but rpm happily builds a bad package.
This has caused samba to ship with only about 15% of it's docs for a
number of (not-in-final-distro) releases.

I actually put this as a bug in bugzilla against rpm ...

Tell me again, is bugzilla going to be used?

Buchan

- --