Ben Reser ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 11:23:00AM +0100, Luca Olivetti wrote:
>
> > I don't agree: I suppose that mandrakesoft has  an  automated  build
> > procedure, a warning will probably go  unnoticed,  while  a  package
> > that fails to build will surely  get  a  maintainer  attention.  The
> > result will be many less broken packages (I hope).
>
> The developer should be doing a build on their  own  machine  *BEFORE*
> they upload it to any system that is going to do an  automated  build.
> And ports should only be building  packages  that  have  already  been
> built and tested on i586.

OTOH I have seen quite a few RPMS that were build only on the  packagers
machine. That person rpm now depends on  libraries  that  exist  on  his
machine the don't exist in mdk-cooker. ie Don't upload binaries built on
your machine and use the mdk build-hosts to make them.

> Unfortunately, so many times people upload packages without bother  to
> even test them. Yes mistakes will get made. But I have to  wonder  how
> packages with syntax errors in the perl scripts get uploaded....  Only
> thing I can see is that someone didn't  bother  to  test  the  package
> first.

Most Perl makefiles support the test target. When I make a  Perl-SRPM  I
turn on that test target just to make sure everything is OK.

> Ultimately this small change will not solve the  problem  of  untested
> RPMS that are screwy. It will still be  a  problem,  until  developers
> take responsibility for their packages.

Difficult situation. But indeed it is better to wait  at  least  to  the
next day when you release a package. Don't rush  it  out.  After  a  few
releases I learned to recognize the feel of the rush and that I  had  to
sit on my hands and wait until the next  morning  after  the  coffee  to
double-check everything.

I also make packages for OpenBSD and the knowledge of that  build-system
is very useful for making RPMS, vice versa as well btw.

//Han
--
http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanb/software