Brian,

I've taken a look at some of the PVR software this week. Freevo and Mythtv.

Freevo was fun. They have some "rpm packages" (I'm quoting that with a reason, read on) that you can grab from sf.net. The rpm packages contain everything you'll need to run freevo, except the linux-kernel perhaps. This may sound cool, but I'd rather provide a rpm package with just the application and solve the dependancy stuff with rpm --> dependancies on libraries, etc. The src.rpm's also contain i386 binaries, which is nice when you try to build it on an alpha :-)

First you start off with freevo-runtime (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/freevo/freevo_runtime-3-3.src.rpm?download), which contains those pretty libraries:

ChangeLog lib/ libcdda_interface.so.0* libfreetype.so.6* libSDL-1.2.so.0* libSDL_ttf-2.0.so.0* libXext.so.6* VERSION
COPYING libartsc.so.0* libcdda_paranoia.so.0* libjpeg.so.62* libSDL_image-1.2.so.0* libsmpeg-0.4.so.0* preloads
freevo_python* libasound.so.2* libexpat.so.1* libpng.so.2* libSDL_mixer-1.2.so.0* libX11.so.6* README

Then try to rebuild freevo (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/freevo/freevo-1.3.0-1.src.rpm?download) and the configure checks for freevo_runtime3. Very ugly. Freevo_runtime3 installs in /usr/local/freevo_runtime3 --> very ugly.

Conclusion: nice project, but I'd wish they'd make the software in the standard way: let rpm handle the dependancies, use the system libraries. The nice thing about freevo is that it may play movies accelerated on my Matrox Marvel (no HW-acceleration in X on the 2nd port, but HW-acceleration on the fb for the 2nd port).

Mythtv looks more promissing. I've grabbed a mythtv src.rpm from the net and started adapting it for mdk. The configure script you'll first encounter is not for mythtv, it's for some other library it needs. There quite a number of funny paths it uses and other quirks. It also needs MySQL, which I can't get working on my box at the moment. MySQL-3.23.53-5mdk, can somebody verify this? Mythtv has more features (web interface) than freevo and the mailinglist is quite busy.

As I've said, I've got a Matrox Marvel G450 eTV (http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/marv_g450_etv/home.cfm). The drivers at http://sourceforge.net/projects/marvel work, I've made a rpm for them but I'm holding back from uploading because:
- these are kernel drivers, they should be in the kernel (rpmlint freaks out on the package);
- the project website warns about the drivers being pre-alpha quality, it may not be wise to put them into the mdk kernel;
- I'm not confident about how to load the modules. The package comes with a script that does it, but the script doesn't work when the modules are installed in /usr/lib/modules/ Some people just put the whole list of modules in /etc/modules, but that isn't right either. I'd rather get the order right and make something nice in /etc/modules.conf;
- It would be swell if this peice of hardware could be configured by drakxtv, but this could be done later too.

Stefan van der Eijk