On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 07:50:56AM +0100, Lea Gris wrote:

First of all, here's the Dish on DISH:

> Even on Canada you have DVB-c on cable TV provided by videotron.

Again, I wish.  You see, our wonderful government here has decided
that Canadians should be held ransom to a single cable provider in any
given service area.  Videotron does not service this part of the
country.  Cogeco does and I have already investigated their service.
It is based on a proprietary Motorola system.

> DVB-s is for Digital Video Broadcast on Satellite
> DVB-c the same via cable
> DVB-t the same via ground transmetters

Yup.

> These different kind of DVB all require different DVB card type.
> Hauppauge provide the 3 types of reciever. The API part and drivers
> remains the same. Its just the transciever part that differs.
> So you just use the same linux software and modules to drive it.

Yup.

> For en encryption question we hav encrypted DVB here in Europe as well
> for most broadcasted channels except for some few stupid tvmarket like
> ones. Don't grin, they are fine when you try to set up your linux box to
> recieve chanels. Does well as test channels ;)
>
> My Hauppauge CARD has a Common Interface module plugged and it just feet
> a regular half height 3"1/2 place
>
> Inside the common interface I plug a so called Magic module and my Sat
> compagny smartcard key in it (it is called CAM).

Right.  If you read the DISH article above, we can almost do that,
except they bastardized the encryption, apparently.

> By the way.
> Even the PLF wouldn't suit for that illegal piece of software.

:-)

> So just do it the right way.
> Buy the DVB card plus a Common Interface plus the plug-in CAM reader and
> subscribe to your favorite SAT company as you would do to use a regular
> DVB reciever.

_If_ I could use a "regular DVB receiver" here in North America.  See
the discussion on why I can't even with DISH (the most DVB compliant
from what I can determine).

> Then plug the shiny iso sized smart card in the card
> reader and enjoy watching encrypted channels legally from your sat provider.

If only it were that easy.  :-)

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell