On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 07:31:10PM +0100, Steffen Barszus wrote:

> Isn't Dish dvb-compatible ? Hmm really don't know. Nut I think you are right.

Two things about Dish.  First, they are in the US only.  I am in
Canada.  Lucky for us Canadians, we have the Canadian governement
protecting us from true competition in the satellite services market.
In the best interest of Canadians, the government creates false
economies and markets and gives the rights to supply the demand for
services to a few select companies (I often wonder how they got the
rights to service the deman).  As you could guess, our content is
limited and the costs of service high.  We have a whole two suppliers
of satellite services and I am sure they love it.

Second, I don't think it's "clear" DVB.  I think there is some kind of
encryption, for which I would need a "MAC" (I think that's the term).
Bell ExpressVu do the same sorta thing.  They broadcast in DVB, but
it's encrypted by Nagravision.

> Not only some, a lot for that card, last time I looked. Anyway, ebay has much
> to high prices, at least on computer-hardware.

Huh?  Check this link:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?GetResult&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=Matrox+G400&from=R8&ht=1&combine=y&st=2

US$10, 15, 20?  That is too much for a dual head AGP video card that
has the TV-Out capabilities of the G400?

> Maybe an mpeg2encoderboard is the right thing for you ?

It's not the same as DVB.  The difference between DVB and an MPEG2
encoder on analog cable is like the difference between getting an MP3
of a CD and having to record it to MP3 from FM radio.  Not even to
mention that there is no MPEG2 encoder for Linux available.  The
PVR-250 seems like it's getting close and there was a Kfir chip out
there but I think that's been discontinued.

> They will nearly cost
> the same as an dvb-card.

But the DVB card is just so much better.  The whole idea is better.
Getting the actual MPEG2 is way better than regenerating from an
analog copy of it.

> Have a look at linuxtv.org Or the WinTV PVR or some
> MotionJpeg Captureboards

The PVR-250 could happen, but MJPEG is sub-optimal.  There is no
intra-frame compression, just frame-by-frame jpeg compression.  You
would lose a lot of bandwidth without the intraframe compression.

> Yes the same here. The people mainly don't understand whats going on and what
> are the results and if they feel the results the start to worry. It looks
> like the politicians are only lobbyists, nothing more. They don't really
> care, what they do .

Yeah, but Europeans seem to stand up for their rights more.

> Indeed realtime transcoding can be done.

I wouldn't even care for that.  My main source of material would be
what I got via the DVB card anyway.  For the odd divx I downloaded, I
would just transcode off-line.

> The DVB-cards can be feeded with
> mpeg1 to.

MPEG2 is better suited to interlaced data.

> On my machine I've 50-60 % CPU on realtime-transcoding divx =>
> dvb-out

> A pitty that  you can't use vdr ....

It's not so much that I can't use vdr, but that I can't get DVB.  vdr
is not the loss, DVB is.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell