On Sunday 15 December 2002 02:34, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 12:56:09AM +0100, Lea Gris wrote:
> > I have successfully used pre buld vdr on mdk 9 despite the DVB numerous
> > driver modules on Mdk kernel are not up to date.
> >
> > The things ran on a PII 350 MHz with Hauppauge DVB-s Neus.
> >
> > Successfully recorded mpeg2 threads from sat channels ent played back at
> > normal full speed without any frame loss.
>
> I envy your ability to get MPEG2 via DVB.  Now you just need suitable
> display engine to display it so it looks like it would if you watched
> it directly from the satellite.

The DVB have a TV-Out and this TV-out is used for Output of vdr. If you play
back recordings they will look like fresh from sattelite, cause it is the
same mpeg es it was sent from sattelite.

> > vdr has a nice transparent overlay interface workable by liirc devices.
> > With proper setup you can build a box that work plenty like any normal
> > sat reciever and is able to record/playback hours ov digital video.
>
> IIRC, VDR can use DirectFB.

Not really. In fact only if you have a video-card that is capable to do this.
In fact you don't need a video-card at all, since the dvb-card is doing all
the work. There are machines out there with 4 dvb-cards and a PII-300. The
only thing you need is a lot of drive-space and maybe fast hardrives. The
drawback is, if you want play games/ play back divx it must be encoded in
realtime to mpeg to display it trough the dvb-card or u have to use a
graphic-card seperatly.

>  I don't know how well (if at all) your
> nvidia card is supported by DirectFB, but that is your best bet.  You
> do not want to use ANY X11 based display solution.  You will not get
> frames being changed in sync with the vertical refresh and will get
> tearing.  See my previous message on this subject.

I saw it. But for nvidia-cards have a look at nvtv. it does not rely on the
commercial driver, and for my purposes the tv-out isn't bad. This is maybe
because I had a look on the tv-out before buying the card. There are very
different models out there. From VERY bad TV-out till quite well. Further the
riva 128 , ati rage 128 and so on are known to work well. The next thing is
that it is nearly impossible t get a matrox g200/g400 right now. They will
not be produced anymore and people who have them will not give it away ;)

> > Ill buy a dedicated set top box for this when I have enough founds.
>
> Seeing as you are receiving MPEG2 directly and not having to create
> it, like the rest of us in the analog broadcast world, you should not
> need too beefy a box at all.  In fact, my PIII-600 would probably be
> plenty enough for 2 DVB cards and still play simultaneously.  Being as
> I have to convert analog signals to MPEG2 myself, I am looking for a
> 2GHz Athlon minimum to encode 2 streams simultaneously and watch.

As stated above. a PII-300 should be enough. On my duron 1,1Ghz playing a DVD
trough dvb-card eats around 3% of cpu and with more than one card I'am able
to record more then one stream the same time ( in my testings I tried to
record 3 streams on one card on the same transponder and have had luck , it
was possible)

> > Havee found nice integrated motherboard and destop box from MSI. Graphic
> > chip, network card, IR interface, audio on one motherboard all linux
> > compatible. 1 or 2 pci slot suitable for the Nexus DVB-S card.
>
> Just make sure the graphics card can do interlaced TV output with
> vsync interrupting, and that you are not forced to use X11 to use it.

No need for it, if no divxplayback is needed. As stated above no graphic-card
at all is needed....

--
counter.li.org : #296567.