On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 14:05, Levi Ramsey wrote:
> >From what I understand of Gentoo, it basically downloads the equivalent
> of an SRPM and builds it then installs the binary.

Done it. Came back.
It takes a long time.  Even with a dual Athlon and a 10MB line, it takes
a long time.
What I didn't like:
1. multiple versions of each package (sometimes both installed at once,
how confusing is that?!)
2. no huge performance improvement like I expected
3. all the nice pre-configured accessories of Mandrake were missing
(i.e. need to play with devfs, ssh, firewall, sound permissions,
XFConfig, bashrc... for hours to get everything setup the way Mandrake
comes by default -- usable)

> It shouldn't be that difficult in theory to hack urpmi to support that
> (providing that a source-equivalent for hdlists and so forth is
> created).  If Mandrake integrates both automatic compilation of desired
> packages with the ability to download binaries, that would be a killer
> feature, imho.

Yup, this would be amazing.  You could do a standard install, but then
tell urpmi:
go rebuild xfree, gcc, glibc, kernel, and openoffice for Athlon-XP

I suggested this on the club and to Deno and a few others but got very
little response, usually just:
"Why don't you just go rebuild them yourself?"

That's not the point.  The point is we could say:
"Look at the new Mandrake.  All binary, all source, or any combination
in-between -- with one command: urpmi."
That's what the news-sites WANT to hear!

Austin

--
                        Austin Acton Hon.B.Sc.
             Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant