On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 15:42, Bob Sanders wrote:
> The package management system is going to have to deal with this
> in a fairly robust fashion and from what I've seen, I'm not convinced RPM can
> do that or that I want to put up with the workarounds it will require.

We have the source code for rpm.
Isn't that THE original philosophy behind open-source?  If it's not good
enough... start coding.

> Should Mandrake drop RPM?  Now that's the real issue.

If RPM is found to be non-extensible and too limited to run a modern,
multi-platform distro like Mandrake, then it can be extended.  I mean,
isn't that how urpmi came about?  RPM needed more features so someone
added them.

And how could we drop RPM?  There's no good alternative: certainly not
portage.  The guys at gentoo spend forever maintaining the ebuilds, and
they're never perfect.  And don't say dpkg/apt cuz I might puke.  :-)
Austin

--
                        Austin Acton Hon.B.Sc.
             Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant