On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 09:02, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Tiny point - you don't need a credit card. Lots of debit cards work OK.
> My PayPal account uses my VISA debit card.

Funny you mention that.  What we call 'debit cards' in Canada are
actually 'bank cards' or Interac.  While originally intended for ATM
machines, they have really caught on in Ontario for in-store purchases.
They offer this in most provinces I think, but in Ontario, purchasing
with a bank card is rampant - to the degree that many of my friends
don't carry cash at all, just a bank card. (madness)

I never figured out why this isn't popular in the States at all, and why
it's so much less popular in the other provinces.  Yet in Ontario,
people will refuse to shop places that don't have Interac.

Too bad there's no secure way to use Interac online.
Austin

--
                        Austin Acton Hon.B.Sc.
             Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant