On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 22:19, J. Greenlees wrote:

> Visa Canada doesn't offer the debit card services here. might be
> Canadian Banking laws stop them.
> in the US Amex has a debit card, where you deposit money into special
> Amex held account and use the card as a credit card, online only. ( it
> functions as debit, but processes as credit card )
>
> in canada, debit is only from the bank card not from a credit card company.

I should clarify - VISA and Switch just provide card processing services
to the banks. I say my card is a VISA card, but it's not an account run
by VISA, just as your credit card isn't actually run by VISA. The
account is held at a normal bank, who (I guess) pay VISA to provide the
card for them.
--
adamw