On Saturday 01 February 2003 10:12, Buchan Milne wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Feb 2003, Shift wrote:
> > Moreover I noticed that the login input field has been removed. The user
> > has only the right to choose a user in a list.
> >
> > But HOW this user will do if the linux box has thousnds of users ????
> > It is an horrible waste of time :(
>
> No, I had setup kdm previously to no show users, so my mdkkdm still had a
> user/password login field.
>
> And I suspect the behaviour can still be controlled with the KDE control
> center module, though I haven't tried.
>
> I would like to have the usual kdm back though.
>
> Do we need to take this up on MandrakeClub to be heard?
>
> IMHO, work on kdm should be going towards making gdm and kdm compatible,
> so that when in kde with gdm, I can choose shutdown/logout/reboot from
> kde, or when in gnome with kdm also. And so that when runing kdm I can
> choose "New login" or whatever better fits for "fast user switching".
>
> Buchan

I completely agree to the contents of the above posts.
The choice of language OTOH is an entirely different matter... :-\

Still, continued unpredictable removals and changes of my kde environment will
ultimately cause me to ditch Mandrake Linux and start using something like
Debian....
That would be a shame because Mandrake seems to be really heading in
the right direction.

Are our voices heard at all here?

Can somebody give us Mandrake's policy on the direction of Mandrake / kde
integration?

Kan we expect more and more removals or changes of kde
base packages in the future?

Thx John