Ok so this is what is so hard: it depends on what you are cooking. Fresh bread
you wan to feel crispy and sort of sound hollow when you tap it. Also biscuits.
But cornbread, cakes, banana bread etc. you want to do the cake test and make
sure the edges don't crisp. Caseroles ofen feel slightly crispy on top, but
barely. You wouldn't want them to sound hollow when tapped because that would
be burnt. Potatoes should feel crisp on the outside but very soft still so if
you press, you can feel them mushy like inside. You can pull things out of the
oven to test either by pulling out a rack or taking it out altogether. You can
put something on a plate from inside a skillet and test or just test one if you
are frying potatoes and take it off the flame, returning it if it is not
already done. Pancakes and things like that feel firm when you press in the
center and not mushy and the edges are slightly cristp. French toast is
similar. Chicken and other meats, I like to time because I want to mak
 e sure there is no blood left in them. Same with burgers and steaks. I hope
this has been somewhat helpful.

*smile*
Regina Marie
Phone: 916-877-4320