I have a plastic bread slicing guide that I got from Amazon. It is
compact, and the board the bread lies on folds up into the slicer; it
looks like a double-decker sandwich when it's folded and  stands on
its base. There's a plastic insert that can be adjusted depending on
the thickness desired. You fold the board down and butt the bread up
against the insert. Thre's a vertical slot where the knife is inserted
to cut the bread.

Here's the info from Amazon (the price is what I paid when I bought it
four years ago).

Bread Slicer - Multi-functional
Sold by VALUE'S JAPAN
$14.78

• This Japanese bread slicer is easy to use. You can cut 4 different
thickness with this slicer (1cm, 1.5cm, 2cm, 2.5cm)
• Designed to accommodate regular sandwich size bread (12cm W x 15cm H).
• Easy to clean and fold up for storage.
• Good for slicing cheese and ham, too
• Made in Japan

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0011EZ7AC/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

HTH,