Von: core-libs-dev <core-libs-dev-r...@openjdk.java.net> im Auftrag von Roger
Riggs <roger.ri...@oracle.com>
Gesendet: Monday, August 30, 2021 5:00:14 PM
An: Jaikiran Pai <jai.forums2...@gmail.com>; core-libs-dev@openjdk.java.net
<core-libs-dev@openjdk.java.net>
Betreff: Re: Proposal: JDK-8231640 - (prop) Canonical property storage

Hi Jaikiran,

System properties, especially new ones, should be only settable on the
command line and read once.
It makes them visible to developers and avoids state-full dependencies
and concurrency issues.

Retiring system properties is quite difficult because there's no way to
know if they are still being
used or by whom.  The technique using system properties to revert to
previous behavior has
been used when API changes are unavoidable and the impact on existing
applications is not known.
It isn't a good solution but does provide a workaround when an issue is
discovered.

Better to not introduce them in the first place.

The use of SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH as proposed seems better than most, as its
definition
has a wider scope and longer expected life than most properties.

Since SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH is an environment variable, not a system
property, it will be
less visible to developers, but is already read-once at first use of any
environment variable
as per System.getenv().

$.02, Roger