Hi,

I'm finding the idea of removing the hardcoded timestamp and adding a property to restore compatibility strangely attractive.  I don't think we've yet found a case where the timestamp was needed (but need to keep looking). (Adding a timestamp to the comment by the caller of store() is already possible)

It will reveal where the timestamp is needed (via some kind of failure, though perhaps not a timely one)
and includes a fallback mechanism when needed.

It will generally cleanup up the behavior of an old API.
The other approaches make new work for developers based on unclear requirements.

$.02, Roger