Hello Roger,

On 28/08/21 12:16 am, Roger Riggs wrote:
Hi,

I'm finding the idea of removing the hardcoded timestamp and adding a property to restore compatibility strangely attractive.  I don't think we've yet found a case where the timestamp was needed (but need to keep looking). (Adding a timestamp to the comment by the caller of store() is already possible)

It will reveal where the timestamp is needed (via some kind of failure, though perhaps not a timely one)
and includes a fallback mechanism when needed.

It will generally cleanup up the behavior of an old API.
The other approaches make new work for developers based on unclear requirements.

So this is essentially the proposal 1d that I listed in one of my mails, with the added advantage of allowing users to switch back to the old behaviour with a system property setting. I hadn't considered the system property approach to switch to old behaviour in my proposals, so this is a very good input and I personally think the most logical proposals so far. One question that however remains is, how long (how many releases) do we support this new system property? The --illegal-access option (although not a system property) seems to be one such example where after a few releases, that option will no longer be supported and won't play any role. Perhaps this system property too will follow a similar lifetime?

One other thing - I believe this new system property must be "set once at launch time" kind of property, whose value can be set at launch time and cannot be changed dynamically in the runtime. That would provide consistency in how the Properties class behaves globally within that runtime, instead of potentially behaving differently in different parts of the code, depending on how the callers set/reset the system property value before calling the "store(...)" APIs.

-Jaikiran