On Mon, 8 Aug 2022 01:55:08 GMT, David Holmes <dhol...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Stuart Marks has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
>> commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   More edits from Alex's suggestions.
>
> src/java.base/share/classes/java/lang/Runtime.java line 66:
>
>> 64:  * {@linkplain Thread#start started} in some unspecified order. They run
>> concurrently
>> 65:  * with any daemon or non-daemon threads that were {@linkplain
>> Thread#isAlive() alive}
>> 66:  * at the beginning of the shutdown sequence.
>
> or which subsequently get started as covered later. So perhaps a simple
> reordering here:

>> are  {@linkplain Thread#start started} in some unspecified order.

>> of shutdown hooks with {@link #addShutdownHook addShutdownHook} and {@link
>> #removeShutdownHook removeShutdownHook} is prohibited. However, creating and
>> starting new threads is permitted.

>> threads that were {@linkplain Thread#isAlive() alive} at the beginning of
>> the shutdown sequence; or which are subsequently started.

Alex and I have gone over this about three times. Your suggestion is shorter,
but it requires a closer read to see all the cases. In particular, it answers
the questions "what happens to currently running threads" and specifically
mentions both daemon and non-daemon threads. Various earlier bits of text
implied incorrectly that non-daemon threads could no longer be running during
the shutdown sequence or even at the end of the shutdown sequence. Being
explicit makes things somewhat redundant but it covers the cases more
thoroughly.

> src/java.base/share/classes/java/lang/Runtime.java line 85:
>
>> 83:  * effect on the shutdown sequence is unspecified.
>> 84:  *
>> 85:  * <h2><a id="termination">Virtual Machine Termination</a></h2>
>
> Should this say "Java Virtual Machine Termination" for consistency.

will fix