On Tue, 15 Aug 2023 16:01:37 GMT, Sergey Bylokhov <s...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Other than that there are no limitation on the size of extended block, it
> could be 0, 20, 100 , etc. But it should contain correct data if necessary
> and should not be larger than the surrounding "chunk".

This seems to be a very "free" interpretation of the specification to me.
According to my understanding, the valid sizes of 8, 16, 24 or 28 as described
in the Wikipedia article are a direct consequence of the specification which
only allows for a fixed set of entries in the ZIP64 Extra Field. Already the
zero-length case is questionable because a ZIP64 Extra Field should only be
created if required, however we have to handle it here for backward
compatibility reasons.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/15273#issuecomment-1679363319