On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 22:04:28 GMT, Maurizio Cimadamore <mcimadam...@openjdk.org>
wrote:

> (I'm pessimistic)

To summarize: I think that allowing version-specific names (even if surrounded
by parenthesis) in `System::loadLibrary` would be very odd. After all,
`System::loadLibrary` doesn't support versioned names, even on other systems
(and adding support for versioned library names across different platforms is a
much bigger effort).

For this reason, the only thing that would make sense for `loadLibrary` to
support is `clang` which will be expanded (by `mapLibraryName`) to
`clang(libclang.so)`. But, even assuming this works: wouldn't we still have an
issue? As far as I understand (and given the code in this patch), we don't
really know (before calling `dlopen`) whether the suffix is needed or not:
whether it's an archive with an `.so` inside, or whether it's a plain `.so`. So
how can the behavior of `mapLibraryName` be deterministic?

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17945#issuecomment-2013954504