On Mon, 18 Mar 2024 17:43:45 GMT, Suchismith Roy <s...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Allow support for both .a and .so files in AIX.
>> If .so file is not found, allow fallback to .a extension.
>> JBS Issue: [JDK-8319516](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8319516)
>
> Suchismith Roy has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
> commit since the last revision:
>
>   trraling spaces

I'd like to uplevel the discussion a bit. This PR started off to tweak the way
in which `System::load` worked in AIX. We then discussed a bunch of options,
talked about `Symbol::libraryLookup` and verified that this lookup allows to
load libraries as expected in AIX. There's some jextract issues which need to
be worked out, but that's outside the scope of this PR.

That said, is there anything that we feel could be improved in terms of library
this case we needed a fully versioned archive member, it is hard to implement
and/or to expose as a simple `mapLibraryName` add-on. Is that correct?

If you feel that there's not much that `System::load` can do for these cases,
then I'd suggest we close this PR, and perhaps move the discussion about
jextract either on `jextract-dev` or on `panama-dev`. Thanks!

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17945#issuecomment-2016237758