On Tue, 11 Jun 2024 09:01:49 GMT, Pavel Rappo <pra...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Please review this fix for an intermittent test failure.
>>
>> On some configurations, the default `expect` timeout of 10 seconds is
>> insufficient. It is increased to 20; it's hard to imagine a configuration
>> for which that new value would still be insufficient, but we'll see.
>>
>> Aside from that, test-generated diagnostics are improved: the version of the
>> `expect` command and the duration of each test method are recorded.
>> `output.exp` is modified for robustness and clear indication of the timeout
>> condition.
>>
>> I was reminded, out-of-band, that test timeouts should be scaled with
>> `test.timeout.factor`. I propose to integrate this PR first and then
>> separately update all the affected tests to scale their `expect` timeouts.
>
> Pavel Rappo has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
> commit since the last revision:
>
>   Change url as suggested in review

Preliminary testing on some affected configurations showed that even 20 seconds
might not be enough. Initially, I suggested that it would be hard to imagine,
yet here we are.

A good solution would be to disable `expect` timeout and, thus, fall back onto
jtreg timeout. The default jtreg timeout is 120 seconds, and `IO.java` does not
override it. Jtreg timeout can be adjusted by the `-timeout` command-line
option.

I believe, this would be the most flexible solution for this timeout issue.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/19627#issuecomment-2163715007