Anders Le Chevalier writes:

I have encountered an odd bug the last few weeks where authdaemond
causes segfaults in libc. I'll post the log at the end of the message.

I am using Gentoo with:

mail-mta/courier-0.71
net-libs/courier-authlib-0.65.0-r3
sys-libs/glibc-2.18-r1 (I have tried with default 2.17 with same
segfault error)
sys-devel/gcc-4.8.2 (CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer
-march=native -mtune=native -msse3")

It seems as "now and then" something happens to cause the mailserver
and/or authdaemond to restart over and over and cause segfaults as you
can see from the logs below. I rebooted the server 2 days ago and I had
no more segfaults since 9am on 25th. I have seen these errors before,
and they seem to group or come in spurts like this.

What can I do to debug this and find the root cause?

Compile courier-authlib with the -g flag, adjust ulimit to enable core dumps, the backtrace from the coredump should be helpful.

Looks like a failed authentication attempt is causing this. Some kind of an error handling problem, it looks like.