I do think that external organizations can/will/should exist to service
different segments; for instance, I think there's a ton of potential for an
organization that aims to service cafes that host (co)working folks.

Many cafes are struggling with the onslaught of laptops, as their business
models count on people getting their coffee and leaving quick to make room
for the next guy. If an organization came along that helped cafes tweak
their business models to take advantage of this shift, everyone would
benefit. (More on that another time.)

The Cowork Network, as envisioned above, looks to be leaning towards helping
people establish and run dedicated workspaces. Providing a knowledge base,
access to technology, and potentially even seed funding, could all be very
useful services for folks to partake in.

Karen, it sounds like your game plan is a good one-- gather together the
people interested in this concept and start to identify the market and its
needs. That'll provide a framework for ensuing discussions.

Tony