Having gone through the process of opening a space the size that was needed
at the time (1800 sq feet) and then growing it until it was full and moving
into a larger space (4500 sq feet), I'd highly recommend the process. It's
not only healthier for the business (you're not hemorrhaging money while
filling a huge space), but gives you multiple opportunities to include the
community in the growth and expansion, which will ultimately be beneficial
for your retention and growth.

Having a waiting list is a great problem to have to solve!

Also, at some point in the past, Geoff (my partner) said that you should
open a space as if it were going to be knocked down or taken away in a year.
The space is a utility for the more important thing you should be developing
- the community - and if the space is viewed as less permanent, its easier
to keep the focus on the right stuff.

Best of luck.

-Alex

P.S. I'm working with a software development team from Springfield, MO,
called Classy Llama and they're awesome. If you end up moving ahead with
this, I'd love to pass your name along to them!

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia