Like others I wasn't there and won't second-guess the OP.  That said, I
think it's generally worthwhile to offer benefit of the doubt upfront.  I
can see good or "evil" in the terms that were described as offensive, and
prefer to assume good.  In any event, it's definitely worthwhile to ask
questions during the presentation if possible and at the very least ask
afterward.

My own thoughts are that "bouncing around" can indeed work out for
everyone, including providers of for-pay spaces.  Jacob made some good
points in that regard but there's also the fact that sooner or later free
spaces fill up, especially with the natural publicity we can expect.  So
given time, that "problem" can solve itself.

If I ever stumble into the funds necessary to start my own space (my
ultimate dream), I plan to offer a percentage of free use right along with
for-pay-- and applying some common-sense strings to the former.  Of course
facility services are a good carrot to encourage for-pay membership, but at
the same time, positive stipulations can be applied to free spots.  Ask for
community service in return, for example.  That could even mean mentoring,
a natural fit for coworking anyway.

If we rise out of the lead-weighted depths of frustration and look at this
activity creatively, it's really not that difficult to convert problems
into benefits.

Randy