From: Crm-sig [mailto:crm-sig-boun...@ics.forth.gr] On Behalf Of Øyvind Eide
Sent: 23 July 2014 15:12
To: crm-sig
Subject: Re: [Crm-sig] *** ISSUE *** Revision of scope note for E73
Information Object to specifically include named graphs

Dear Steve,

This sounds good to me. Do you think an example of a named graph should be
added as well?

Best,

Øyvind

On 18. juli 2014, at 08:44, Stephen Stead wrote:

> Dear CRM-SIG
> I would like to suggest the following revision to the scope note for E73
Information Object. Its intention is to specifically mention “named graphs”
as being instances of E73 Information Object. As we look at implementation
of the CRM it is becoming increasingly obvious that “named graphs” are going
to be a particularly useful tool, it would therefore seem handy if we
explicitly mentioned that they live in E73!
> Best regards
> SdS
>

> Current Scope Note
> E73 Information Object
> Subclass of:        E89 Propositional Object
> E90 Symbolic Object
> Superclass of:    E29 Design or Procedure
> E31 Document
> E33 Linguistic Object
> E36 Visual Item
>
> Scope note:        This class comprises identifiable immaterial items,
such as a poems, jokes, data sets, images, texts, multimedia objects,
procedural prescriptions, computer program code, algorithm or mathematical
formulae, that have an objectively recognizable structure and are documented
as single units.

> An E73 Information Object does not depend on a specific physical carrier,
which can include human memory, and it can exist on one or more carriers
simultaneously.
> Instances of E73 Information Object of a linguistic nature should be
declared as instances of the E33 Linguistic Object subclass. Instances of
E73 Information Object of a documentary nature should be declared as
instances of the E31 Document subclass. Conceptual items such as types and
classes are not instances of E73 Information Object, nor are ideas without a
reproducible expression.
> Examples:
> §  image BM000038850.JPG from the Clayton Herbarium in London §  E. A.
> Poe's "The Raven"
> §  the movie "The Seven Samurai" by Akira Kurosawa §  the Maxwell
> Equations
> Properties:
>
> Revised Scope Note
>
> E73 Information Object
> Subclass of:        E89 Propositional Object
> E90 Symbolic Object
> Superclass of:    E29 Design or Procedure
> E31 Document
> E33 Linguistic Object
> E36 Visual Item
>
> Scope note:        This class comprises identifiable immaterial items,
such as a poems, jokes, data sets, images, texts, multimedia objects,
procedural prescriptions, computer program code, algorithm or mathematical
formulae, that have an objectively recognizable structure and are documented
as single units. The encoding structure known as a “named graph” also falls
under this class, so that each “named graph” is an instance of an E73
Information Object.