Dear Simon,

On 29/7/2014 7:34 ??, Simon Spero wrote:

If the propositions in a named graph are treated the same way that propositions in other propositional objects then the CRM need make no commitment as to their truth. Completely false "documents" that claimed to describe reality are still at the least information objects.

This is indeed how I perceive the CRM and the next step in integrated knowledge management!

Belief values, of any kind, are orthogonal to propositions. Since real world science and scholarship is much more subtle in belief value than formal logic, and the actual nature of conviction formation by humans is still an open research question, but empirically successful (otherwise we had no aeroplanes), a reasonable scientific and scholarly information service must separate propositions from implicit truth values in the long term.

I see the near future as monitoring all information back to the evidence of knowledge it is grounded in, as a phenomenological approach, which models and implements what any good researcher so far should do anyhow,
but cannot in current information aggregation system.

Also, to clarify: RDF and RDFS are based in classical logic, as is OWL, which is the description logic SROIQ(D).

RDF triples are ground terms that, if accepted, are axioms; if there are logical inconsistencies this inconsistency will cause clashes (most OWL reasoners are tableau based).

Yes! The implicit logic in RDF/RDFS is however minimal and categorical: subsumption and inheritance of properties. Applied to the concepts in the CRM only, we would not question these on a regular base. To overcome practically the intrinsic fuzziness of the concepts in the CRM, we normally adopt a "recall over precision" attitude in the definition, classification and querying (everything that "could be an E7 Activity" should be classified as an E7 Activity).

All other theories expressed in RDF do not need to be logically consistent in a CRM implementation (multiple fathers etc. ;-) ). The use of OWL rules in a database is practically prohibitive: It inhibits data entry without adequate diagnostics to the user about the reasons of failure. It prevents storing alternative opinions, one of the fundamenatl
requirements for CRM-based aggregation services.

Best,

Martin