Hi Richard,

On 29/7/2014 12:06 ??, Richard Light wrote:
Martin,

Thank you for this: I now have a much better idea of what you are trying to express. I can also now see how the AAT is relevant to the discussion: it is precisely a set of propositions with an identity, or (to use SKOS terminology) a Concept Scheme. (However, I can't see the AAT being cited as justification for an assertion or set of assertions, so maybe it's not that pertinent an example.)

However, the AAT as a concept scheme is identified by the URI:

http://vocab.getty.edu/aat/

which yields a web page when invoked normally, and redirects to:

http://vocab.getty.edu/download/rdf?uri=http://vocab.getty.edu/aat/

when RDF is requested in the HTTP Accept header. Every concept within AAT contains an assertion that it is skos:inScheme AAT.

So, in what way would you create a Named Graph (in your sense) for the AAT? What URI would you associate with each triple in the concept scheme?
http://vocab.getty.edu/aat/
And what practical benefit does this give you, that simply using the URL quoted above doesn't give you?
You can upload the AAT into a triple store and still know this is the same AAT...

An example of a "well known" graph will always have that problem - it is defined somewhere else. In the CRM, we do not require examples to be well known. We can create a small TRIG file.

The whole point of a Named Graph is distinguishing a bunch of propositions within a database (triple store, graph database...). If the propositions are still on the Getty server, I cannot run a transitive closure etc. on its
content.

You can regard the whole LoD space as a big triple store, but you cannot run a query against it up to now. This part of LoD is still a bit in the science fiction area - at least from the point of view of industrial application. Distributed querying still poses theoretical questions and serious performance issues. I'd guess some 20 years to become reality, if ever. The "if ever" comes from my concerns how you can manage such a space
without controlled provenance of knowledge with all its ramifications.

Best,

Martin

Richard