i'm in the middle of reading Bruce Schneier's lastest book, "Data and Goliath". sheds a lot of light on this subject. very interesting book. very insightful. a good read. i recommend it. i picked it up to understand Google, scroogling, big data and the computer mechanics of corporate spying better. but, he goes deeply into this subject of spying on citizens. being able to kill with metadata alone. [CIA quote] etc.

he makes a good point that we as mammals, fell like prey if being watched and can't function fully. and, the younger generation is quite desensitized to most of this spying. they post their love lives on facebook and are flamed when breaking up. the younger generation is much more accepting of what the older generation would consider embarassing and private.

all of this stuff is a double edged sword. we can spy on citizens for terrorism or to silence political dissidents. if we limit free speech to prevent terrorism, human rights activists won't be able to speak either. best analogy, bank robbers use cars, roads, diners and electricity. but, we don't illegalize cars, roads, diners and electricity. because, most people don't use them for robbing banks. ditto crypto.

people still use envelopes; have locks on their doors, close the bathroom and get hotel rooms for "adult activities". they are, in the majority of the time, doing nothing illegal.

imho, his analogy with the heightened airport security does apply to crypto and mass surveillance. they've caught a lot of petty theives. but, no terrorists. this is intuitive. the population at large has noticed this. ditto crypto n mass surveillance.

the corrollary is, the billions of dollars spent spying on citizens in the name of protecting us from terrorism, is more than just a waste of money--it's a dereliction of duty! i don't care how much the gov't spends on fighting terrorism or; how it is done. but, it should work! they shouldn't be sitting on their behinds reading oujie boards to find terrorists either! this isn't the TVA workfare pgm.

also, he confirms my simple logic, if there is a backdoor, anyone can go through it. "What one man can do, another man can undo." whether a foreign gov't or criminal, sooner or later, someone body you don't want to, will come through that backdoor. either we make it safe for everyone. or, we make it insecure and surveilable for everyone.

and, finally, someone else talks about the defects of profiling, all the false positives [and false negatives]. not to mention the incorrect math and statistical analysis. profiles are guidelines at best. not definitions. [my 2c] he adds the cost of the human intervention and investigation necessary to correct the incorrect assessments.

do they not profile political activists? your medical condition? from logged purchases? where is the right and wrong in this?

and, they collect so much data, no one knows what's in it. unless, a flag goes off. which, may not happen. but, when it does, digging through the archives might help. [my 2c]

we have already opened our world to a new kind of discrimination that is non-combatible. apply for a job. they put your name in google and twitter and facebook and; see what comes up. even if it is private. my hunch is, they give it to PIs who do break the laws to find this info. and then, "we found someone more qualified for the job." even if you scrub your google listings, there are always bread crumbs.

with everyone looking for the right search terms, sending ridiculous job offers to ppl based upon chumming resumes without human intervention. you may be lucky, if they never considered you anyway.

imho, this crypto warmongering is just using fear for control and justification of huge bureaucracies that are inefficacious to the task assigned.