At 4:29 PM +0100 10/19/06, Alex Robinson wrote:

>So people, just a word to encourage people to discuss the practical
>issues that IE7 throws up and to remind you all of the existence of
>the IE7 page on the wiki.
>
>But let's lay off the whole $COMPANY rants please.

    I'd just like to second that.  I expect that there will be a lot
of discussion about IE7 and how it handles CSS.  In fact, I'd be very
disappointed if there wasn't.  There will no doubt be people here on
the list who will try IE7 on their designs, find problems, and need
help fixing them.  That's what the list is here for: to help each
other use CSS.
    I also do expect there will be a little bit of venting here and
there, especially from those who have problems or who didn't get
their favorite CSS thingamabob in IE7.  I'd just like to ask everyone
to try to leave those out as much as possible.  Wouldn't you feel
silly if you posted a long diatribe about how incompetent Microsoft
is in breaking your site, only to find that the problem was actually
that IE7 does a BETTER job of CSS than it used to, and some
long-forgotten CSS hack or conditionally commented fix was really the
culprit?  I know I would.  So if there are problems, by all means
come here for help, but let's all do it civilly.  Even if no solution
can be found, we'll all learn a lot more by working on the problem
than by venting spleens.
    (Not that I disapprove of spleen-venting in general.  I just
oppose it here on the list, as it lowers our signal-to-noise ratio
and I want to keep that as high as possible.)
    So, to recap: IE7 is out, and I think just about everyone here is
keen to find out what it can and can't do.  Discuss problems and new
features here, if you like.  Summarize findings on
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=IE7.  Please dial the rants down
as far as possible.  Thanks!

--
Eric A. Meyer (http://meyerweb.com/eric/), List Chaperone
"CSS is much too interesting and elegant to be not taken seriously."