> So you're client is maximizing (or manually sizing) their browser window to
> span multiple monitors.
>
> First, your site is not the ONLY one that they are going to have this
> complaint about.
>
> Second, if the client is doing this, then they are already used to the
> visual "break" from left-to-right on spreadsheets, documents, web pages, and
> everything else.
>
> What do they really want? Do they want you to anchor it to the left-side of
> the browser? What about dynamically centering it up to a certain width.
> Someone else suggested using max-width.
>
> I'd probably probe further to make sure the "centering" is their *real*
> complaint. The "centering" might only be a poor explanation on their part.
> For example, do they really mean that they would like it to be liquid and
> expand to fill their screen.
>
> Think about WHY someone would maximize a browser window across multiple
> screens.
>
> Visual impairment? If so, then restricting your page to ~1000 pixels width
> and fixed pixel sizes might be more of the problem.
>
> Do they simply like to ogle their amazing web site?
>
> My point is, find out WHY they are maximizing across two monitors, and why
> it is important *and okay* that the problem exists in many circumstances,
> but is unacceptable to them with their site.
>
> You may also want to explain that most users -- even those of us that are
> lucky enough to have multiple monitors, DON'T TYPICALLY expand the browser
> windows across multiple monitors.
>
> Think about that for a second.
>
> Even the best liquid layout would be visually hosed when you viewed it
> across 3800+ pixels. All of the text would run up into a few lines that
> would give you a migraine trying when trying to read 2 or 3 lines of text
> spanning horizontally across 2 or more monitors. Then you'd still have
> vertical stacks down the left (and right) sides of images, nav bars, etc.
>
> Just tell them that you'd be happy to fix the problem, but it goes OUTSIDE
> of standard web design practices and it will be a considerable cost
> increase.

Hey Rob,

I don't think the problem is visual impairment - the client is a
photographer. There is almost no text on the site, so it's not that he
is increasing his font size 'til it overflows the monitor. I think he
just, as you suggested, simply likes to ogle his amazing web site.

The next version of this site will probably have images that are sized
to 90% of the browser window height, so that it gets really BIG for the
really big monitors. I'm pretty sure I'll be in touch with you guys for
help with that!

OK, I'm going to write and ask what he's really after.

Thanks a million, everybody!

Sandy