> Anyway, when you maximize IE on a Windows setup with dual monitors, it
> only fills one screen, so I think they had to manually size and position
> their browser to go across both screens.

I concur. I run dual 20" monitors at 1600x1200 for Windows XP Pro (SP2) and
Mac OS X. On Windows the desktop is sewt to extend onto the second monitor.
Regardless, when you maximize a window, the window fills and snaps to ONLY
the monitor that contains the majority of the window. So even if the window
is straddling both monitors, when click Maximize, it will snap to ONLY one
of the monitors, not span both.

I cannot speak for Active Desktop, but I do know that backgrounds are also
sized to each monitor, they do not stretch horizontally across the monitors.
Mebbe' Active Desktop is different, but I would be surprised if it was.