Hi, I haven't been around these parts much lately, but some of you might
remember me from a few years ago.  ("Anyone?  Anyone?  Bergevin?")  I
got stuck on something today, and was hoping this group might have seen
it before, or be able to offer some direction.

This looks pretty close to what I want in FF:

     http://scott.sauyet.com/issues/2008-03-04a/

(I'm just trying to match the look of an existing site right now, so no
comments about the ugliness, okay?  :-) )

In IE7, IE6, and IE5.5, all on XP, I'm seeing something bizarre.  The
initial rendering is okay, but as you hover over the elements in the
menu, the bottom of the menu seems to expand and contract a bit.  But
the really odd thing is the form controls.  There are a few form
controls in the second menu section, a label, a text box, and a button.
  When you hover onto or off of the top menu item, the text box and
button move down the page.  They keep doing this; it's not a one-time
behavior.  In IE7 they will go on indefinitely.  In IE6 and IE5.5, they
eventually disappear when they fall off the real estate owned by the
menu.  (Or maybe it's just that the page doesn't extend to hold them as
the menu is the only thing on the page so far.)

Has anyone seen this behavior?  Any suggestions for how to get rid of it?

Thanks for your help,

   -- Scott Sauyet