Scott Sauyet wrote:

> Interesting, and quite simple.  Any ideas on *why* hasLayout on the
> link affects the position of an element some distance away?

The 'hasLayout' team's collective set of ideas can be found here...
<http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/onhavinglayout.html>

The main effect is that 'hasLayout' stiffen up and straighten out, and
also _isolates_ an element from its surroundings. In so doing the edges
of each element becomes much better defined and clear-cut, and thereby
also the effects elements have on each others in IE/win -- including
margins, offsets and positioning.

May I add that 'hasLayout' is a "constructed bug", a kludge, implemented
in IE/win to counteract the worst effects of a huge number of real
"calculation bugs" in the old Trident engine. As such 'hasLayout' can
easily do as much damage to a layout as it can do good, and should only
be used when there are few or no other options, and only when one can
perform thorough testing to avoid negative side-effects.

There are of course also cases where 'hasLayout' simply can not be
avoided even if it causes damage, since there are so many potential
triggers - as the 'hasLayout' article clearly shows. This is when
designing in IE/win can become really problematic.

> I just love IE!

Strange love ;-)

regards
        Georg