Alan Gresley wrote:
> Scott, both Georg's solution and mine (untested in IE/Mac) still has box
> model problems in IE5/Win. Are you wishing to support this browser?

No, the application will have a fairly limited audience.  I really need
only FF and IE6+, but would prefer for my own edification to ensure it
works in Safari, Opera, and IE5.5.

> Getting back the the original bug. Off-line testing confirms that only a form
> elements reacts with the padding bug and hovering the first and second list
> items will send the form element in IE/Win continuously down. It's like IE
> moves the form element downwards when the padding bug is triggered but
> doesn't restore it correctly in place when the padding bug is un-triggered,
> thus each time the trigger is activated the form element is moved one more
> step onwards on it's continuous journey to the abyss.

I still haven't found time to really investigate the bug.  Squashing it
was all that was required for the moment, but I really want to find the
time for further investigation.  It is such *odd* behavior, even for IE.
  I'm used to the peekaboos and guillotines, but it's rare to see
something get progressively worse like this.

> I beginning to think more and more how IE is very magical :-)

Is this supposed to be news?  :-)

Again, Alan and Georg, thank you very much for your help.

   -- Scott