Scott Sauyet wrote:

> Alan Gresley wrote:
> >> This looks pretty close to what I want in FF:
> >>
> >> http://scott.sauyet.com/issues/2008-03-04a/
> >>
> >> When you hover onto or off of the top menu item, the text box and
> >> button move down the page. They keep doing this; it's not a one-time
> >> behavior. In IE7 they will go on indefinitely.
> >
> > It's not the Guillotine bug. Somehow IE is transferring the padding below
> > the list items. The fix which looks the same for Firefox, and OK for IE is.
> >
> > #main-menu .menu-group {
> >     border-bottom: 1px solid #858585;
> >     margin: 0; /* DELETE */
> >     padding: .25em 0;  /* DELETE */
> >     padding: 0; /* ADD */
> >     margin: .25em 0; /* ADD */
> > }
> >
> > You may want to feed IE a few different rules to get it right.
>
> Thank you very much.  I hope to get a few minutes in the next several
> days to write up this bug.  Wow!!!
>
> Just out of curiosity, what is your technique for finding this one?  I
> was really stymied.
>
>    -- Scott

Hello Scott. Once I relised that it was not a Guillotine bug (no floats
present) I saved the page offline and looked for any padding or margins which
IE commonly has trouble with. I then deleted this line

padding: .25em 0;  /* DELETE */

and saw that the IE bug was squashed. When you have a IE bug with padding on an
element you simply remove the padding and apply a margin instead on the same
element and hope that you don't trigger other bugs that IE has with margins.

margin: .25em 0; /* ADD */

The basic approach for tackling a mystery bug

http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles/mys-bug.html

I will do a offline demo for you breaking down the original bug to help you
with your write up. Do you have a name for it yet? :-)

Alan

http://css-class.com/