Alan, you did _not_ respond to the list and therefore I'll repeat your
message here:

You wrote:
> hr {
> background-color:#dd0000; /* One browser needed this, I forget which one
> <grin> */
> color:#dd0000;
> /* Enter margin:0; padding 0: for Firefox */
> }
and earlier:
> >  If I style <hr /> as follows: hr {color:red;} it does appear as red and
> displays correctly in most browsers.
> >  However, in Firefox it displays, but with an enormous amount of top and
> bottom padding.

Please note that color does not have any meaning if the element has no
content. This only leaves border-color and background-color to specify
any color for styling.

> I didn't measure "enormous" but an estimate is over 20px, which is far more
> than a simple margin error.

Sometimes you claim it to be a padding (right) and sometimes a margin
(false, as no color specification is applicable to the margin).

You wrote:
> >  I just found another bug in Firefox 2.0.0.13 which I haven't seen listed
> anywhere else.
> >  If I style <hr /> as follows: hr {color:red;} it does appear as red and
and later:
> The code is very simple:
(for the code see above).

I'm sorry, yes the code you posted is very simple, but it does not
show any bug in Firefox 2.0.0.13. The only problem is, you forgot to
show us the rule from your stylesheet, which causes the padding ("is
over 20px") on the <hr />. As a guess, that rule might just look like
this:
                html * {padding: 12px 0 12px 0;}

Manfred