On Apr 6, 2008, at 6:49 AM, Alan K Baker wrote:
> Without me looking up specifications, if color has no meaning, then
> how do you propose to change the color of a horizontal rule? It is
> not a border, neither is it a background, so how else would you
> style its color property? To answer my own question, Mozilla
> obviously think it's a background element, but then you can't simply
> put printable characters on top of it, so they are breaking the rules.

You're a bit wrong here.
<hr> is _not_ a background element.
In Gecko, Opera and WebKit, it is a block element that has a border.

Here are the rules that control of the (default) display of a<hr> in
Gecko (1.9 - Fx3)) based browsers:
hr {
   display: block;
   height: 2px;
   border: 1px inset;
   margin: 0.5em auto 0.5em auto;
   color: gray;
   -moz-float-edge: margin-box;
   -moz-box-sizing: border-box;
}

hr[size="1"] {
   border-style: solid none none none;
}
(from html.css).

Opera and WebKit based browsers have very similar rules in their UA
stylesheets.

Gecko 1.8 (Fx2) has slightly different rules:

hr {
   display: block;
   height: 2px;
   border: 1px -moz-bg-inset;
   margin: 0.5em auto 0.5em auto;
   -moz-float-edge: margin-box;
   -moz-box-sizing: border-box;
}

hr[size="1"] {
   border-style: -moz-bg-solid none none none;
}

If you want control over the display of the hr, use the border-property.
If you want control over the 'space' (margin) before/after the <hr>,
use the margin-property (and IE windows has many problems with that
one).

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh