You can use overflow-x and overflow-y properties separately, instead of just
"overflow: scroll"

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-box/#overflow

It's been supported since Mozilla 1.8 and IE5. I think all browsers support it
even though it wasn't part of CSS2.1 specs (it will likely be in CSS3).

Sounds like a topic for a blog post ;-)

-Estelle

CSS, JavaScript and XHTML Explained
http://evotech.net/blog