Michael Leibson wrote:

> www.thinkingmusic.ca/analyses

I have used a copy of this page to exemplify one approach to solving
your problems...

<http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/alien/ml/test_09_0511.html>
<http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/alien/ml/test_09_0511_files/styles00.css>

> Are these differences the result of my own errors, or normal browser
> behaviour?

Both :-)

Browsers behave this way given the styles you have provided.

You can not calculate the right length (height) of an element in
relation to another, unless one is a child of the other.

> If the result of browser behaviour, I’d rather just find a way to
> ensure that all divs conclude at the same point (and leave the minor
> differences alone), rather than write re-calibrated measurements for
> each browser.  Is there a way to do this?

CSS standards, and some workarounds for very old browsers, let you make
the sidebar (#left) end up exactly in line with the main column. The
easiest way to achieve this is to leave #main un-positioned (static), so
it can affect the height of main div (#top) directly. Then the sidebar
(left) can be absolute positioned relative to bottom of main div (#top)
for perfect alignment.
Resize (text) all you want in any somewhat standard compliant browser,
and it'll keep the bottom alignment.

IE6 can't position opposite edges of elements relative to parents, so
I've added a workaround (dynamic expression) for it.

I've also modified how those ul in the sidebar are positioned.
Note that there's no way you can space those ul evenly down the sidebar
in a way that will look alright for any page-length and amount of
content and degree of font-resizing in the main column. You'll have to
compromise.

Design wise I agree with Philippe: a jagged line-up at the bottom will
look better then a straight line. You can achieve a straight line or a
jagged alignment as you wish with the method I've exemplified, and the
chosen alignment will remain stable.

regards
        Georg
--