Le 23 août 2013 à 23:58, Tim Arnold <tim.arn...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 12:47 AM, Mike O'Toole <m...@risingwoods.org> wrote:
>>
>> FYI only recently has the 'smart phone' (all MQ capable) sales passed the
>> 'feature phone' in sales percentage.
>>
>> Many present day low end 'feature phones' and most older (sold in 2009-2012)
>> 'feature phones' lack the MQ support.
>>
>> As of mid 2013 many high end 'feature phones' are MQ capable. FWIW they are
>> much more powerful than the 'smart phones' of 2011 and before.
>>

> Keep in mind, if doing a mobile first approach, that IE8 (not exactly
> an ancient browser) does not support media queries at all without a
> polyfill.

Hmm, polyfills… I prefer the good old school conditional comments to load an
'IE8' or 'oldIE' specific stylesheet. If you use SASS or similar preprocessors,
it is relatively trivial to set up your system to generate such a stylesheet.
And it cuts down on the amount of JS oldIE has to process, which is good for
performance. That is similar to what Tom Livingstone described upthread.

In general, on the debate between 'mobile first' and 'desktop first', I go with
the former, that is, building a stylesheet upwards from the simple to the more
complex. The term 'mobile first' is a bit of a misnomer, though. I prefer to
frame the whole thing in terms of viewport sizes. That also means that someone
who has a huge 'desktop' monitor but a narrow browser window will see a
different layout than someone with a larger window.

Philippe
--
Philippe Wittenbergh
http://l-c-n.com