This, too, is a place where we "engineers" try to pretend we are like our
users and, in doing so, often fail them.  We all are comfortable with
technology, and feel that "sure, let's let them customize the heck out of
this thing, give them a ton of options".  Because we are comfortable with
lots of options and think that's a good thing.

But lots of options confuse many people.  Or often they don't use them.
So you need to be a good designer and make good choices -- even if those
choices are only the defaults, because so many people will leave the
defaults forever.

In short, you can't get away with sloppy design and toss a band-aid on it
that says "that's OK, they can turn it on or off".  You need to really
think the design through so that it's useful to the largest number of
users, and provide options only for those skilled or ambitious enough to
play with them.

My current application is extremely technical, with screens full of data
and information and tables and graphs galore.  Thinking this very complex
app through from a mobile-first perspective, at the insistence of my
design consultant, has been really thought-proking.  I'm working through
the user scenarios time and again to insure that the mobile user has a
great experience, and am finding this is giving the full screen user an
amazing one.  It's challenging and fun all at once.